Being the month of love and also the month of my birthday, this session with my wonderful friend just had to include chocolate cake. You really should have heard us squealing over how this one turned out. I’m telling you, we’re getting better at this! See for yourself!
– 2 cups sugar
– 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
– 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 2 teaspoons baking soda
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1 teaspoon kosher salt
– 2 eggs
– 1 cup buttermilk – 1 cup strong black coffee – 1/2 cup vegetable oil – 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
– Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans. Set aside.
– In a large bowl with an electric mixer, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix on low until dry ingredients are thoroughly combined.
– Add eggs, buttermilk, coffee, oil and vanilla. Beat on medium speed for about two minutes; the batter will be thin. Pour batter evenly into prepared pans.
– Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes for round pans, 35 to 40 minutes for rectangular pan or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely.
– Frost as desired. Enjoy!
This cake smelled absolutely amazing while it was baking. Dearest Carl kept asking when it would be ready so when it finally was, we included him in our pictures. Because all desserts must be taste tested by Carl Watkins! 😉 Also, this was probably the best icing job I’ve ever done. Really.
If you wanna see more pictures of this gorgeous post, head over to Olivia’s blog!