Spring is the time for strawberries and shortcake and ridiculously fluffy whipped cream. At least that’s what Olivia and I decided. And let me tell you, it’s possibly my favorite recipe she’s photographed so far! Plus, it tastes delicious… Are you ready?
– 1 container strawberries
– 3/4 cup sugar
– 3 cups all-purpose flour
– 4 teaspoons baking powder
– 3/4 teaspoon salt
– 12 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
– 2 cups heavy cream
– 2 large eggs
– 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
– Whisk together flour, baking powder, 1/2 cup sugar, and the salt until combined.
– Add butter and mix with your hands until mixture resembles coarse meal but with some pea-size bits of butter remaining.
– In a separate bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup cream and 2 eggs. Pour over flour mixture and mix with a spatula until some large clumps begin to form.
– Cover baking sheet in parchment paper. Use a half cup to form biscuits. Should make 7-8.
– Bake until lightly golden, about 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool, about 15 minutes.
– While shortcake is baking, rinse, hull and quarter strawberries; toss strawberries with 3 to 4 tablespoons sugar and let sit to bring out their juices.
– Beat remaining 1 1/2 cups cream and 2 tablespoons sugar with the vanilla until soft peaks form.
– Once completely cool, slice biscuits in half, layer the bottom half of biscuits with whipped cream then strawberries. Enjoy!
I will admit that this is the first time I’ve made homemade whipped cream. It was so easy and so good, I will probably never go back. I dare you to make your own if you haven’t!
So, think you will try this one out? It’s so easy and would make a perfect dessert for Mother’s Day! If you need more convincing, check out Olivia’s post! And just for fun, here’s a behind the scenes snap of our cooking excursions:
Cook on, my good readers!
(Recipe adapted from Design Love Fest)