I’m going to admit that we almost didn’t get to make our planned recipe this time! It involves lilacs and the earliest that Olivia and I could get together was the very end of the lilac season. Thankfully we caught the last of them, making this recipe possible! So without further ado, and with much happiness, I bring you the next installment in our Cooking with Casey Crocker Series.
– 1/4 cup Fresh Lemon Juice
– 1 tbsp Lilac Syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup lilac flowers)
– 1/2 tbsp Fresh Orange Juice
– Sparkling Water
– To make the Lilac Syrup: Combine the water, sugar and blooms in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and let it simmer for a couple minutes (the longer you simmer, the stronger taste of the syrup). Strain out lilacs and let mixture cool before using.
– While your syrup is cooling, squeeze your lemons. We used three to get a half cup.
– Combine lemon juice, cooled lilac syrup and orange juice in a glass. Fill the rest of the glass with sparkling water and stir.
– Add ice cubes if desired.
This recipe was so easy and a great spin off the classic lemonade. A little bit sour, very bubbly with a light lilac flavor. If you would prefer to make it a cocktail, I would recommend a small splash of Vodka. And as a quick warning, you WILL have lilac syrup leftover! So it leaves room for lots of flowery creations afterwards. 🙂
Check out the rest of this gorgeous session on Olivia’s blog!
(Recipe adapted from The Merrythought)