Summertime is burger time! Two years ago, we decided to experiment and make our own burgers from scratch. I found a recipe I liked and since then, we’ve modified it a bit to our taste. I make the burgers and Dearest Carl cooks them and then we both enjoy the fruits of our labors. Especially with all the burger fixings and a side of chips! In preparation for the long holiday weekend, you might want to bookmark this post and revisit it when you’re planning your Memorial Day cookout menu.
- 2 lbs ground hamburger
- 1 1/4 heaping tsp salt
- 1/2 heaping tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of pepper
– Mix all ingredients together.
– Form meat into 4-6 patties, depending on how large you want them, and put a thumbprint in the middle of each.
– Put burgers in the fridge to chill while you start the grill.
– Once the grill is warmed up, put your burgers on for 5-6 minutes.
– Flip and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
– Flip again and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
– If you’re adding cheese, put a slice on each burger for the last minute or two to melt.
– Serve hot with all your favorite burger fixings!
Tip: We cook our burgers long and slow (hence the three flips) to keep them nice and juicy, but you can cook them hotter and faster if you prefer… or you have a hungry crowd to feed.
It’s been fun watching Dearest Carl learn some grilling skills, the perfect hobby for a perfectionist, and it feels good to eat something that we both contributed to. Makes a great way to cook together without getting under each other’s feet in the kitchen. We hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we have!