Since Dearest Carl bought me the whole Harry Potter movie collection two years ago, it’s been our fall tradition to watch one each weekend during the fall season. One thing in particular that looks so delicious is the frothy glass of butterbeer. In my head, I imagine the drink to be warm, sweet, creamy and butterscotch-y. So we set out to create it in our own kitchen and with Dearest Carl’s expertise for tweaking, we finally found the recipe we like the best. Have a look at our favorite version of butterbeer!
Butterbeer (Makes 2 mugs)
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 cup cream soda
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 TBSP butterscotch syrup
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 of a cinnamon stick
- 1/2 cup spiced rum (optional)
- Whipped cream
- Combine water, cream soda, sugar, butter, syrup, vanilla and salt in a saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon stick and simmer until the mixture is heated through, 20-30 minutes.
- If adding, stir in the spiced rum.
- Pour into mugs and top with whipped cream. Enjoy!
We had been making this almost every weekend until we went to the Renaissance Faire in Ohio. Dearest Carl ordered a butterbeer at one of the places we went and they gave him a glass of butterscotch sweetened beer. So of course we had to figure out that option too.
- Pour one shot of Torani Butterscotch Syrup in a glass. Pour a lighter beer over top (we’ve been using Corona Premier). Enjoy!
And there you have it. All the kinds of butterbeer for your Harry Potter viewing needs.