Are you ready for a simple baking treat? These scones are my favorite. The best part about this recipe is that it’s a good basic dough to which you can add any flavor your heart desires. This orange chocolate chip flavor is my preference but there are so many other things you can add! Lemon zest, nuts, cranberries, cinnamon, etc.
– 2 cups all purpose flour
– 1/4 cup granulated sugar
– 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
– 1/4 tsp salt
– 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter
– 1 cup heavy whipping cream
– Zest from 1 orange
– 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips
– Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
– Using a whisk, mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
– Stir orange zest into the dry mixture.
– Cut cold butter into the dry mixture and then use your hands to mix until the mixture resembles wet crumbs.
– Add whipping cream and stir just until the dough comes together.
– Fold in chocolate chips.
– Using a spoon, drop dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
– Bake for 10-15 minutes.
– Let cool and enjoy!
Since I’ve experimented a bit with this dough, here are a few tips from all my tests.
– Zests should be added to the dry ingredients so it gets distributed evenly.
– Chocolate chips and nuts can be stirred in last.
– If you’re using berries, they should be carefully folded in after the whipping cream is mixed into the dough.
– If you’re that good, go ahead and shape your scones into squares or triangles or the Millennium Falcon before baking.
– The bigger your scones are, the longer they take to bake. Can’t have doughy middles now can we!
Have an awesome weekend!